PEDIATRIC DENTISTRY OUTLINE
SECTION I: FACT SHEET
- What causes decay?
- Is decay a systemic disease?
- Can we prevent decay naturally?
SECTION II: FAQs
- Why is decay on the rise with children on low or no sugar diets and good nutrition?
- I have been taking my child to a dentist for several years. Why does he/she suddenly have multiple cavities?
- Can decay appear in specific patterns and does this provide us with diagnostic information?
- Does breastfeeding improve my child’s rate of decay and proper jaw development?
- Why are the majority of children experiencing poor jaw development resulting in the need for orthodontic therapy?
- How can I recognize the early signs of poor jaw development in my child?
- Why are teens now being diagnosed with gingivitis and bone loss when previously these were not seen until one’s 30’s?
- Why enroll my child in your pediatric wellness program rather than a traditional pediatric office?
- When should I bring my child in for their first appointment?
SECTION III: PEDIATRIC WELLNESS PROGRAM
- Comprehensive Pediatric Examination
- Tooth examination and diagnosis
- Jaw development exam and diagnosis
- Periodontal exam (for teen gingivitis) and diagnosis
- Initial Treatment Plan
- Dental Nutrition and Systemic Assessment
- Dietary analysis
- Nutritional status
- Immune system
- Hormone analysis (for endocrine-tooth axis)
SECTION IV: THE STAGES OF DENTAL DISEASE Stage 1: Underlying Causes Stage 2: Oral Susceptibility Stage 3: Dental Disease Stage 4: Oral-Systemic Metastasis Stage 5: Systemic Manifestations SECTION V: DENTAL ERUPTION CHART
- Primary (Baby) Teeth
- Secondary (Adult) Teeth